Basic question

RCS

Suppose my null hypothesis is “Not more than 50% person prefer milk” and alternate hypothesis is “More than 50% (or majority) prefer milk”. Actually the null and alternate hypothesis are set so only to test whether majority prefer milk or not.

Then I set the question in the questionnaire as:
"Do you prefer milk? Yes□ No□ Not sure□".

After a survey of 100 respondents I found that 40% ticked ‘Yes’, 57% ticked ‘No’, and the rest (3%( ticked ‘Not sure’.

To test the hypothesis, I ran a one-sided binomial test in R using the command:

binom.test(40, 100, p=0.5, alternative="greater")
Then, on the basis of the test result, rejecting the alternate hypothesis and accepting the null hypothesis I got “Not more than 50% person prefer milk”. But not that “Majority don’t prefer milk”.

So, to conclude that “Majority don’t prefer milk” from such ‘Yes/No/Not sure’ type question where response option is 3 types (not 2 types i.e. Yes/No), how the reasoning should be narrated after that test, or what statistical test should I perform & how – to conclude that “Majority don’t prefer milk”.

Please help. I am not so conversant with statistics.

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
Yeah that third group is your issue. You just need to make a decision of how you want to group responses and make sure you clearly convey the context. I think the way you ran it should be fine.

However your interpretation of the results is not totally right. You would say that you "failured to reject the null ".