Best software for organizing journal articles?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
In the past I used Mendeley to organize articles. I was just wondering what everybody else is using and if there are any better recommendations? I appreciate any and all feedback.

fed2

i just use words 'reference manager'. I had to you latex before, its not for humans IMHO. Alot of people tell me they use 'endnote', but latex cured me of the desire to learn new things.

In the past I used Mendeley to organize articles. I was just wondering what everybody else is using and if there are any better recommendations? I appreciate any and all feedback.
I've used Mendeley for 5 years after switching from Word's built in reference manager. The new online Mendeley, I find, is slow and not as user friendly as the desktop Mendeley so I stick with Mendeley desktop and the Mendeley Google Chrome plugin. For my use Mendeley is no.1 for the amount of articles I get through and manage and ease of recall when writing copy and ref lists. The newer Google Chrome plugin doesn't find pdfs and authors as often as earlier versions did.

gianmarco

TS Contributor
Yes. I agree about Mendeley.

I have been using it on a daily basis, to organize my references and to read articles and books (using the in-built highlight and annotation function). But there is something a little annoying: for two reasons (to quick add a citation and to read the PDF of an article/book), I used to import PDFs into Mendeley. But this ended up creating duplicates on my hard drive (1 copy of the PDF that one imports, and 1 copy of it that is first uploaded to my Mendely account and then downloaded into a "downloaded" folder which sits inside the program's directory).

Other than that, everything fine.

Yes it does seem to create duplicates in the Mendeley app folder sometimes. Perhaps not if the pdf is brought in to Mendeley by the web plugin, but the plugin doesn't always identify articles through Chrome. Safari might be better.

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
Is your purpose for writing a paper or just tracking/repository of articles? I don't use any, I just list them and manage them myself - I've written 60+ papers that way, but I usually only have about 15-30 citations per paper - so it is manageable.

It's mostly for a repository while writing papers, 15-30 is manageable yes . Probably the thing that 'sold' Mendeley to me was the keyboard shortcut to put a citation in the right style as I'm writing a sentence. The ref list in the right style for everything cited is another button click

Has anybody used Readcube Papers? It's a few pounds a month, looks like a nice interface, if you have used it and Mendeley, does the Papers Google plugin pick up PDFs from web pages more frequently than Mendeley's?

Last edited:
I know also Zotero, which is good one and works like Mendeley. I just can't say which one is better.
I just feel Zotero is much better in referencing and giving the in-text citation for each article/pdf/etc.