Can I use an independent t-test to test for significant differences over time?

I have a 50 year time series (2012-2062), and I would like to test to see whether sig. differences exist between two groups of data subjected to different conditions. I understand that a t-test tests for sample means, however does this test still apply if I am looking at differences over time?

Thank you