chi-square, regr.analysis, help please!

Hi to all! I am answering some statistics questions from the course I have in statistics, and have some problems answering them. I thought somebody from the forum will volunteer to help, if s/he can, as I have to submit the answers to my teacher as soon as possible.
1. One of them is: whether a chi-square depends on the sample size or not, and why?

Well, I understood that chi-square uses counts and frequencies as data rather than standard deviations and means, and with it data is analyzed in categories, but I still cannot reach to a clear conclusion whether it depends on the sample size or not.

2. Another problematic question I have is: which null hypothesis does the regression analysis usually use?

As far as I know, there are two null hypothesis: a directional and a non-directional one. And I think that it is the non-directional null hupothesis, because it tests differences or relationships, and it is relationships between variables that a regression analysis tries to explore. But this is just my opinion and am not sure if it is really the case – If somebody is sure about the correct answer, please let me know

Thanks in advance! :)

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Are these exactly how the questions are worded? Because they aren't very clear.

For the first question are you talking about a chi-square test of independence? A goodness of fit test? Just the distribution itself?

For the second question: Fitting a regression doesn't require any null hypothesis - it's when you do testing that you use a null hypothesis. What test are you talking about?

jrai

Assuming you mean chi-square test of independence, Chi-square statistic (technically Pearson's chi-square) is not reliable when the cell counts of the table are less than 5 or are inflated with zeroes. Then it is good to conduct Fisher's exact test or calculate the exact p-value of Pearson's chi-square statistic.

A quote:
"Exact statistics can be useful in situations where the asymptotic assumptions are not met, and so the asymptotic p-values are not close approximations for the true p-values. Standard asymptotic methods involve the assumption that the test statistic follows a particular distribution when the sample size is sufficiently large. When the sample size is not large, asymptotic results might not be valid, with the asymptotic p-values differing perhaps substantially from the exact p-values. Asymptotic results might also be unreliable when the distribution of the data is sparse, skewed, or heavily tied."

The routine p-values for the chi-square statistic are calculated using the asymptotic methods.

As Dason correctly mentioned: "Fitting a regression doesn't require any null hypothesis - it's when you do testing that you use a null hypothesis."
The packages by default test for the null hypothesis that the coefficient/parameter estimate/beta =0 & also conduct the F-test where null is that all the coefficients are simultaneously equal to 0.

Hello Dason and jrai, firstly, thank you both for being kind to help, in particular with your remarks and clarifications. Though, I did not pose the questions correctly, I've at least now made a difference that an analysis and a test are two different things.
As to the asymptotic assumptions, I will need some more time to grasp this topic as I'm now entering statistics.

Secondly, I am obliged to apologize for wasting your time as I was in a hurry and did not precisely pose my questions in the forum (it's my lesson).

And now, I am posting them again, but the way they were exactly worded by my teacher:

1.Does the power of a chi-square test depend on the sample size? Why?

2.Which null hypotheses is usually a regression analysis testing?

I hope I will receive some other useful responses:)

Again, thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
As Dason correctly mentioned: "Fitting a regression doesn't require any null hypothesis - it's when you do testing that you use a null hypothesis."
The packages by default test for the null hypothesis that the coefficient/parameter estimate/beta =0 & also conduct the F-test where null is that all the coefficients are simultaneously equal to 0.
The omnibus F-test usually isn't that all the coefficients are 0. The intercept usually isn't included in that test.