did i use the right test to compare the effectiveness between two groups? chi squar.

my study included 825 total cases. Out of which, 377 cases are culture positive to fungus. But only 364 cases are smear positive. So, i compared the effectiveness of these two tests: culture test and smear test.

I then selected chi square fourfold test ,

group 1: culture test & group 2: smear test
effect 1: postive & effect 2: negative

Analyze > Descriptive Statistics > Crosstabs:

result was pearson chi square value was 0.414 and P value : 0.520. So, the P value>0.01. This signifies the effectiveness of two groups are similar.

please check my results in jpg version! Did i used the right Test?

Re: did i use the right test to compare the effectiveness between two groups? chi sq

Hi,

I might not be the best person to answer this cause Im an amateur also but since there is no reply at the moment, I will try to give my opinion.

I think if you want to compare effectiveness, there are some tests: t-test (parametric), anova (parametric), mann-whitney (non-parametric), wilcoxon (non-parametric) and kruskall-walis (non-parametric). Google it to find out the detail of this tests; you will see that before choosing one of this test, first you need to see whether it is parametric or non-parametric.

As far as I know, crosstab chi square check the relationship between variables.

Re: did i use the right test to compare the effectiveness between two groups? chi sq

Hi,

I might not be the best person to answer this cause Im an amateur also but since there is no reply at the moment, I will try to give my opinion.

I think if you want to compare effectiveness, there are some tests: t-test (parametric), anova (parametric), mann-whitney (non-parametric), wilcoxon (non-parametric) and kruskall-walis (non-parametric). Google it to find out the detail of this tests; you will see that before choosing one of this test, first you need to see whether it is parametric or non-parametric.

As far as I know, crosstab chi square check the relationship between variables.
thanks for your reply. i will check other tests also.