Have any folk tried OpenStat

Hi folks,

Just came across;

Openstat
http://www.statpages.org/miller/openstat/

It is for Windows. I don't have Windows box here only Unix and Linux boxes. As the author mentioned there that I can run OpenStat on wine.

However I expect to know whether I need X to run OpenStat? Because I'm going to test it on a virtual machine. All the guests are running either on Debian 5.0 (Lenny)-minimal installation OR on Ubuntu 8.04-minimal installation WITHOUT X. If X is needed then I'll install it before adding OpenStat. Please advise. TIA

A further thought, can I run OpenStat remotely on a workstation on LAN via ssh? If YES then can I left out installing X on the guest where OpenStat is installed. Thanks

B.R.
satimis

OpenStat

I dont think I have the answers to your questions but I use Ubuntu 9.04 with Wine and OpenStat. It seems to work great. It fills the void between where PSPP is now and where it needs to be.

I dont think I have the answers to your questions but I use Ubuntu 9.04 with Wine and OpenStat. It seems to work great. It fills the void between where PSPP is now and where it needs to be.
Hi mdshaver,

Thanks for your advice. OpenStat needs X to run that is what I need.

Besides I haven't browsed OpenStat website thoroughly. Are there tutorials on running tests? Or can I found tutorials on Internet re making tests on OpenStat? I found SPSS tutorials on Internet. TIA

B.R.
satimis

The help manual within OpenStat is useful and up to date. There are also textbooks/user manuals on the OpenStat website that are more comprehensive but about a year older. I would recommend using the separated chapters rather than the complete textbook listed on the OpenStat site. This is for two reasons: the separated chapters seem to be slightly more recent and also it is much quicker for OpenOffice to load them.

The help manual within OpenStat is useful and up to date. There are also textbooks/user manuals on the OpenStat website that are more comprehensive but about a year older.
Hi mdshaver,

Thanks for your advice.

Whether you meant following manuals on their website;
Section1UsingOpenStat.doc
Manuals.zip

Does it work on Debian Lenny running Wine as simulator? Or other Linux OS suggested. I'll install Lenny-i386-minimal on the guest of OpenVZ (a Virtualization PC) and OpenStat on it without X. I'll forward X of the host to the guest to run OpenStat. I don't know whether this setup works. However it works for me on another Statistical analyzing software.

I would recommend using the separated chapters rather than the complete textbook listed on the OpenStat site. This is for two reasons: the separated chapters seem to be slightly more recent and also it is much quicker for OpenOffice to load them.
Please explain more detail about "using the separated chapters rather than the complete textbook listed on the OpenStat site"

TIA

B.R.
satimis

I'm afraid that I am not a computer programmer and have not used linux for more than 6mos so I cannot comment on some of your inquiries.

All that I can tell you about running OpenStat is that I have used Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04 using the version of Wine listed within the repositories. I simply use Wine to install the OpenStat.exe file and everything runs very smoothly.

What I was referring to with the manuals is that Dr. Miller also has a complete textbook in .doc format at the bottom of the manuals list. I would recommend downloading the allmanuals.zip file that you mentioned earlier. These smaller files will load in OpenOffice much faster than the complete textbook. I believe these individual manuals have also been updated more recently than the complete textbook.

I'm afraid that I am not a computer programmer and have not used linux for more than 6mos so I cannot comment on some of your inquiries.

All that I can tell you about running OpenStat is that I have used Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04 using the version of Wine listed within the repositories. I simply use Wine to install the OpenStat.exe file and everything runs very smoothly.

What I was referring to with the manuals is that Dr. Miller also has a complete textbook in .doc format at the bottom of the manuals list. I would recommend downloading the allmanuals.zip file that you mentioned earlier. These smaller files will load in OpenOffice much faster than the complete textbook. I believe these individual manuals have also been updated more recently than the complete textbook.
Hi mdshaver,

Now I have OpenStat up running on Ubuntu 8.10 with "OpenStat April 2, 2009" window started. But I have no idea how to pursue further. Can you shed me some light where to start? TIA

Are there mailing list and forum for OpenStat?

B.R.
satimis

There was a listserve but i don't know how active it is. I don't believe there is a forum either. I think if you simply read the manuals that u download from the website, you should be fine. It operates much like SPSS.