How do I get correlations using SAS?

Hi,
I know the code for correlation on SAS is proc corr but the output is very hard to decipher. Is there any way I can get SAS to give me a table like below: (ignore the fullstops, the formatting is all wrong if I dont use the fullstops.

......... Item 1.......... Item 2 ........... Item 3
Item 1 correlation 1 correlation 4 correlation 7
Item 2 correlation 2 correlation 5 correlation 8
Item 3 correlation 3 correlation 6 correlation 9

I have about 30 items of data so it would be very useful if I could.

Thank you.

-Connor

jrai

The O/P from proc corr might be confusing to you because in addition to the correlations it also gives the p-values & # of observations used to calculate these values. You can use the NOPROB option to suppress the printing of p-values & # of obs. Additionally you can use NOSIMPLE to suppress the printing of the descriptive statistics. If you want a table in work directory use the ods statement.

ods output PearsonCorr=table1;
proc corr noprob nosimple data=;
var ;
run;
ods output close;

This will give you the desired output in work.table1.

Wow I had no idea I could export directly to a table, I've been copying the .lst files from the output and opening them in sas enterprise then saving them as .txt files!

Thanks jrai!!!

Just to check, if i wanted to run proc means instead, how do i modify the code?

My guess is:

ods output table1;
proc means data=;
run;
ods output close;

But i get an error on sas.

help?

thanks!

jrai

Unfortunately the SAS documentation doesn't give any ODS table names for proc means. You can use the output statement to create the table.

proc means data=;
var;
output out=table1(drop=_type_ _freq_) mean=avg;
run;
The results will be stored in work.table1 & the means will be stored in variable 'avg'. You can change the variable name. It creates 2 additional variables _type_ & _freq_ which if you don't require you can drop as I did in above code. If you want additional statistics then you'll have to create additional variables. Say I want to add # of obs, sum & stddev then,
output out=table1(drop=_type_ _freq_) mean=avg sum=s n=num_of_obs std=s;

Things change if you use a class variable. Output statement creates an observation for each level where level is the combination of classes. Say I used a class variable 'Gender' & 'grade'. Gender has 2 types: M & F; Grade has 4 types: A,B,C,D. I used following class statement:

class grade gender;

Therefore, there are 11 levels:
1) _type_=0: mean for all dataset.
2) _type_=1: mean for all M.
3) _type_=1: mean for all F.
4) _type_=2: mean for all M & A.
5) _type_=2: mean for all M & B.
6) _type_=2: mean for all M & C.
7) _type_=2: mean for all M & D.
8) _type_=2: mean for all F & A.
9) _type_=2: mean for all F & B.
10) _type_=2: mean for all F & C.
11) _type_=2: mean for all F & D.

Note that _type_=1 is the rightmost variable in the class statement, _type_=2 is for rightmost 2 variables & so on.
So your output dataset will have 11 observations. If you want just the 8 observations for MA,MB,MC,MD,FA,FB,FC&FD then use the nway option or specify the _types_ number. See both the options in the following codes:

NWAY:

proc means data= nway;
var;
run;
NWAY automatically calculates the stats for the highest _type_. So you'll have means for ma,mb,...,fd.

_types_= :

proc means data=;
var;
output out=table1(drop=_type_ _freq_ where=(_types_=2)) mean=avg;
run;
This will also give the same result. With this you can customize the types. Say you want the mean of entire dataset then use _type_=0.

There is a third option also, the Types statement:
proc means data=;
var;
types grade*gender;
run;

This will also give the same result but it has an advantage that it is resource efficient relative to where & nway options for large datasets.

Mean Joe

TS Contributor
ods output table1;
proc means data=;
SAS creates specific names for the tables that are all put together in the displayed output. As in proc corr it creates a table named PearsonCorr. You can see the names of tables that proc means creates by
Code:
ods trace on;
proc means; run;
ods trace off; *turn it off right afterward to keep your log from getting too cluttered;
Then go into the log and see the table names.