How to analyze a variable measured on a Likert scale and its interaction with another

I have to analyze this variable which consists of scores given to 3 items (1-9 scale). This "likert scale" measures "brand commitment" if thats important.

1) Firstly, should I compute 1 new variable that combines the 3 statements (they measure the same latent construct) in order to make it analysable? I understood that calculating the mean is not always the best way - is there something better for the situation?

2) Secondly and most importantly, I want to analyze how this variable interacts with one of the factors(IVs) from my experiment. I ran an ANOVA to test my previous hypoteses. However for this case, putting a likert scale in the ANOVA is considered controversial by some people. So is it appropriate to use ANOVA for a likert scale (if so - should the variable have some specific levels)? If not can you suggest some other parametric or non-parametic method that is suitable for analysis of this interaction.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Stefan

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Re: How to analyze a variable measured on a Likert scale and its interaction with ano

Please, don't post the same artcle twice, into different forums.

Second, there is already an existing thread in which you
discuss exactely these questions.

With kind regards

K.