How to choose analyzing method using discrete/categorical and continous variables?

Last edited:

JesperHP

TS Contributor
Re: How to choose analyzing method using discrete/categorical and continous variables

Well ANOVA and regression are not necessarily so very different. How about simply choosing the one of the two you understand the best?

And no there are not any formulas specifying what method to use. There are guidelines but they are - as you have experienced - ambiguous. Nothing is ever clear cut, welcome to reality.

Re: How to choose analyzing method using discrete/categorical and continous variables

Last edited:

JesperHP

TS Contributor

Well even though you have data, nominal, ordinal and numeric you still have to ask questions to make the data speak, so you could try to post something about what you want to know. Usually you would try to pick a dependent variable and some independent variables. But really - not that it is any of my business - but if you are supposed to be doing this and have no skills in it, I would assume they did not hire you without expecting to teach you a little .... but im naive like that.

Well even though you have data, nominal, ordinal and numeric you still have to ask questions to make the data speak, so you could try to post something about what you want to know. Usually you would try to pick a dependent variable and some independent variables. But really - not that it is any of my business - but if you are supposed to be doing this and have no skills in it, I would assume they did not hire you without expecting to teach you a little .... but im naive like that.
Oh... sorry, I'm learning about this stuff, not hired - sorry, I didn't know students can't ask here! It's fine, please delete the thread then! This was embarrassing. :)

JesperHP

TS Contributor

You are welcome to ask questions as a student. Sorry if I implied anything else.

trinker

ggplot2orBust

@Grovius please undelete your posts :-( they are useful to others with similar questions.