How to obtain density values of the heat map of kernel density distribution ?

Hi all,

So that looks tricky to me since I'm not specialized in statistics and softwares, but I'm hopeful that someone will give me an answer.

I used R to generate a kernel density distribution of puncta within the region outlined in the figure attached. The problem now that I don't know how to identify the puncta density per color (for example, number of puncta detected per hot spots/ red regions). The reason is because I want to attach a heat map to the figure in order to clarify the gradient of puncta clustering (Blue=0, Red= value of highest density)

I used MASS and RColorBrewer packages, and this is the code I used to generate the density distribution map:

>rf <- colorRampPalette(rev(brewer.pal(11,'Spectral')))
>r <- rf(32)
>L1<-read.table("L1.csv",header=TRUE,sep=",")
>L1
>attach(L1)
>plot(Position.X, Position.Y, xlim=c(320,5200), ylim=c(90,5200))
>f2 <- kde2d(Position.X, Position.Y, n=600, lims=c(320,5200,90,5200),
>h = c(width.SJ(Position.X), width.SJ(Position.Y)))
>image(f2, col=r)

Thank you very much in advance :)

Lina

Last edited:

bugman

Super Moderator
Try the image.plot function in the "fields" package

then Contour(name of image,add=T)

Code:
library(fields)
image.plot(f2)
contour(f2, add = TRUE)

Hey bugman,

Thank you for your quick reply, I really appreciate it.
I used your code and it seems that it is working and showing values for the heat map as shown in the figure attached (upside down this time). But the thing I don't understand what these values mean? I don't think they represent number of puncta per area, which is the number I'm looking for. Do you have any idea how can I get that number?

Cheers,

Lina
Try the image.plot function in the "fields" package

then Contour(name of image,add=T)

Code:
library(fields)
image.plot(f2)
contour(f2, add = TRUE)

bugman

Super Moderator
Yes. Thats what I mean. Set them to some meaningful limit (within the bounds of your data range) and the legend should make more sense.

Hey Bugman,

So I'm trying the contours as you advised, I'm stuck with this warning message that is shown in the picture attached, I think there is a problem with the Var value, but I don't know what is it. I'm trying to follow this code below which I found online.
The thing is, will this contour code actually gives me the value of dots/puncta detected within each color? Is that what the values represent, because the figure that I found (in more than one website) looks like concentric circles rather than density distribution!

The code I'm following:

x <- 1:50
y <- 1:70
z <- matrix(expand.grid(x,y)$Var1^2 + expand.grid(x,y)$Var2^2,50,70)

# plain
contour(x,y,z)

# adjusting levels
mylevels <- seq(0,7500,500)
contour(x,y,z,levels=mylevels,xaxs='i',yaxs='i')

# filled contours
filled.contour(x,y,z,color.palette=heat.colors)
filled.contour(x,y,z,col=grey(seq(0,1,length=length(mylevels))))
# add this to line above and see bad match
contour(x,y,z,levels=mylevels,add=T)

Thank you

Lina

Yes. Thats what I mean. Set them to some meaningful limit (within the bounds of your data range) and the legend should make more sense.