[Interview] SPUNKY IN YOUR FACE

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Well to be fair ggplot2 introduces a different framework for thinking about graphics. You can think about graphics in the 'grammar of graphics' framework without ggplot2 but it takes a lot more work to implement it all yourself. Another thing that ggplot2 aims to do is use sensible defaults to create nice looking graphics without the user having to customize too much. You clearly can customize a lot when using ggplot2 but one of Hadley's goals was so that you could just use ggplot2 without much customization and have a plot that you feel looks nice and conveys the information is a good way.

Don't get me wrong - I think it's a great idea to know how to do stuff using base graphics but I'm definitely not anti-ggplot2 like you are you ;)

TheEcologist

Global Moderator
Well to be fair ggplot2 introduces a different framework for thinking about graphics. You can think about graphics in the 'grammar of graphics' framework without ggplot2 but it takes a lot more work to implement it all yourself. Another thing that ggplot2 aims to do is use sensible defaults to create nice looking graphics without the user having to customize too much. You clearly can customize a lot when using ggplot2 but one of Hadley's goals was so that you could just use ggplot2 without much customization and have a plot that you feel looks nice and conveys the information is a good way.

Don't get me wrong - I think it's a great idea to know how to do stuff using base graphics but I'm definitely not anti-ggplot2 like you are you ;)
We have also been through this. I like the grammer of graphics concept, I even advise new R-user to go ahead and use it. Once you get more advanced, I am afraid it is going to limit your thinking and slow you down in the long-run.

Just like I'm now stuck programming my own MCMCs, sometimes your specific weird needs outgrow the box.

Here is one for you Dason. Enjoy the beat.

spunky

Can't make spagetti
Wait, I am the youngest... I'm an '87 child and you two are '86ers :) Months are hard

at least for a few months out of every year (and just counting years and not months)... YOU'RE JUST AS OLD AS THE THREE YOUNGEST ONES!!! HA!

(i just realized now then that, techincally, i'm the oldest among the youngest! :( )

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I'm assuming you're only counting TS Contributors. Because we've had some quite young users in the past.

Questions:

1) Have you experienced both Taco Bell and Taco John's? Which do you prefer.
2) If you were a muffin - what type of muffin would you be?
3) Do you have any statistical annoyances? Maybe a procedure that some people use that you just can't stand? Or a misconception that drives you crazy when it comes up?
4) If you had the chance to redo all of your schooling would you take the same academic path? If not what would you change?

Dragan

Super Moderator
at least for a few months out of every year (and just counting years and not months)... YOU'RE JUST AS OLD AS THE THREE YOUNGEST ONES!!! HA!

(i just realized now then that, techincally, i'm the oldest among the youngest! :( )

Oh, don't be sad Spunky, I'm the oldest - same age as Bruno.

Note: It's difficult being a Chair of a department these days - categorically different from being faculty, and it's a huge time suck.

Dragan