Need help with this tricky average problem

Kbus

The senior citizen rowing club team is made out of 10 members. In order to compete they need to have an average age of more than 55 years; the problem is that members do not want to reveal their age, neither to know the age of the others, nor the minimum or the maximum. They find a way to do it and they calculate the average to be 55.7 years. How they did without knowing the age of others, neither min or max.

Ok this is the extra credit problem but I have no idea how to solve it. I figured that the min sum is going to be 551 because they have to have an average age over 55 and there are 10 members. But other than that I'm not sure what to do. Please Help, any input is welcomed so thanks in advance.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Hi,

Please don't just post in other people's threads asking for help with this thread and not providing any input on the other thread. If anything bump your own thread. But you only gave a half hour between posting your thread and posting in another thread which really isn't that much time at all...

On the topic of your post - this is an interesting problem and a solution isn't immediately apparent to me. I think I've heard this one before (well at least the general idea) but I don't remember the solution.

Kbus

I'm really sorry. This forum is a new thing to me so I don't know how it works, or even what it means to "bump" my thread. I can delete my post in the other thread if you would like.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
It's ok. Just realize that you probably aren't going to get results immediately. "Bumping" a thread is just posting in it with the only purpose being that there is a new post so it jumps to the jop of the thread lists in the forum. I already deleted your other post so don't worry about it.

Kbus

I'm beginning to think whether this is a riddle or a actual math problem. I don't see why my teacher would submit a riddle for us but how am I supposed to solve this with no numbers?!
All help is appreciated