repeated measures + SAS + covariance structure

Hello,

My first time posting here, and really hoping that someone can help me out!
I have data from a repeated measures experiment in which the time points were not evenly spaced + some missing data from individual animals, so I am using proc mixed and attempting to find the appropriate covariance structure. I am doing this in two different models - one that includes 3 different time points (days 4, 6, and 7) and one that includes 5 different time points (days 8, 9, 10, 11 and 13).
I know that the unequal spacing in time isn't hugely "unequal" but in any case it isn't completely consistent, either...
Initially I tried sp(pow) and it gives me the message that the model converges but is not Hessian positive definite. Then I tried ante(1) and got the same message. My statistics consultant on campus said that the problem may be that I have relatively few time points and it is trying to estimate the appropriate parameters based on just a few time points and that I shouldn't necessarily be concerned with it not being Hessian positive definite.
I wonder if anyone can help me determine whether there are other options or whether I should just "turn a blind eye" to this problem and continue along in my analysis as if I wasn't getting this message.
I'm new to all of this so I have no idea what would definitively tell me if it's "ok" or not, and I am anxious to proceed with my analysis.

Thank you,

Rachel

jrai

The hessian being singular suggests that the model has been specified wrong. For example where there is perfect colinearity... Check the data and model.

Hessian is a second order matrix & the warning is saying that the matrix isn't invertible & that is mostly when it is not full rank matrix.