Seeking a good book on StatSoft Statistica

I am interested in learning to work with StatSoft's Statistica software, but I find the built-in help instructions difficult. Can anyone please tell me of a book to learn Statistica from? Thank you in advance.

I am new to Statistica, which I am exploring because of its claimed abilities to integrate with R and with .Net.

The first thing for me to learn about Statistica is how to use it to manipulate data.

For a start I've got some data in a table within an MS Access 2003 database that I've linked into Statistica through an ODBC connection. That's been my little task tonight, following along with the Statistica built-in documentation.

I am aware of the StatSoft Electronic Textbook, but I find those hyperlink things to be "tricksy," hard to work through end-to-end, really just more for reference.

The Electronic Textbook seems to be more about the subject of statistics itself, rather than a help with Statistica. For a general statistics reference I'm using the Springer book -- Applied Statisticis Using SPSS, Statistica, Matlab and R, which I feel is a great read.

I am new to Statistica, which I am exploring because of its claimed abilities to integrate with R and with .Net.

The first thing for me to learn about Statistica is how to use it to manipulate data.

For a start I've got some data in a table within an MS Access 2003 database that I've linked into Statistica through an ODBC connection. That's been my little task tonight, following along with the Statistica built-in documentation.

I am aware of the StatSoft Electronic Textbook, but I find those hyperlink things to be "tricksy," hard to work through end-to-end, really just more for reference.

The Electronic Textbook seems to be more about the subject of statistics itself, rather than a help with Statistica. For a general statistics reference I'm using the Springer book -- Applied Statisticis Using SPSS, Statistica, Matlab and R, which I feel is a great read.
I've searched for books about using Statistica but all I found was that book you mentioned. :) I think in your case it's better to address to Statsoft support service. They answer any questions like how some statistics are calculated, how-to-do simple questions for free.

JenB

A good STATISTICA book is the STATISTICA Quick Reference. You can find the PDF on the Help menu of Version 8 and later. Or you can order the physical book from StatSoft (info@statsoft.com).

In response to your other questions:

Database Connection - On the Help menu, select STATISTICA Help. Go to the Search tab. Select the Search Titles Only checkbox and type in "database connection" (make sure you use the double-quotes to limit your search results). The topic "How do I set up a database connection using the OLE DB provider for ODBC" has step-by-step instructions.

R Integration - On the Help menu, select R Integration White Paper. This PDF describes integration options to leverage R functionality in STATISTICA.

JenB

You might also want to check out these textbooks:

Applied Statistics Using Spss, Statistica, Matlab and R by Joaquim Sá

Computer-Aided Multivariate Analysis by Afifi, Clark and May