state reason for using one tail in the analysis of variance test ?

I think in this way that
since in anova we partition the total variability into various independent components ,
and since the Mean square of this components follow chi-square distribution,
and since the ratio of two chi-square distribution follows F- distribution,
and since F- distribution is a one tailed test,
we use one tail in the analysis of variance test .

Does it make sense ?

Miner

TS Contributor
I think you over analyzed it. Look at it from your null and alternate hypotheses. Your null hypothesis is that the variance due to the factor is <= to the variance due to the random error. Your alternate hypothesis is the variance due to the factor is > that due to random error. This means a one tailed test.

A two-tailed test means that you care only that they are different. Why would you care whether the variance due to the factor was < than that due to random error?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
and since F- distribution is a one tailed test,
The F-distribution is a distribution - not a test. You can most certainly use a two-tailed test for test statistics that follow the F distribution - but most of the time this isn't something that makes sense to do.

trinker

ggplot2orBust
Can you even have a directional hypothesis with an ANOVA that uses the F distribution (at least with more than 2 groups)?

Look at it from your null and alternate hypotheses. Your null hypothesis is that the variance due to the factor is <= to the variance due to the random error. Your alternate hypothesis is the variance due to the factor is > that due to random error.
My null hypothesis is \(\mu_1=\mu_2=...=\mu_a\) and alternative hypothesis is \(\mu_i\neq\mu_j\) for some \(i\neq j\). And I did ANOVA test for testing the hypothesis.

Isn't the hypothesis two-tailed test ?

rogojel

TS Contributor
My null hypothesis is \(\mu_1=\mu_2=...=\mu_a\) and alternative hypothesis is \(\mu_i\neq\mu_j\) for some \(i\neq j\). And I did ANOVA test for testing the hypothesis.

As far as I know with ANOVA you are actually testing the consequence of this hypothesis on the variance structure. If the assumption that at leastbsome group means are different is a good explanation of the total variance in the data then the original null is rejected.

So, we really test whether the model with different means has a much smaller residual variance ( contribution to the sum of squares really) then the model with the same means. The test for this is one sided.

regards
rogojel

Miner

TS Contributor

Technically, you are correct about the hypotheses. However, you must look at the way that ANOVA tests these hypotheses. The F-test is actually a ratio of the s^2 due to the effect of a factor divided by the s^2 due to random variation. Therefore, in effect the null hypothesis becomes s^2 effect <= s^2 random, and the alternate, in effect, becomes s^2 effect > s^2 random, which is a 1-tailed test using the F distribution.