• Ubuntu

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other. Please explain

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Link

Ninja say what!?!
What kind of files created by R are you talking about? Files using save? A csv that R wrote out? Workspaces?
txt's, jpg's, and pdf's. Haven't checked csv's yet. Interestingly, I just realized that Windows DOES read Rdata that I save from R in Linux. hmmm....will have to look into that more.

bugman

Super Moderator
Thanks for your advice The Ecologist, Vinux, Link and Dason:

I have downloaded: Linux Mint 11; ubuntu and PCLOS Gnome to try out. Having trouble writing the later, but I have had a day with MINT 11 and so far Im pretty hooked.

I just need to figure out how to install R as it doesn't look overly intuative to newbee. I also need to find out if there are linux based alternatives to Adobe P/S and lightroom, which is all that is holding me back from a full install.
Im impressed with the speed and absence of popup tags and the overall look of it!

bugman

Super Moderator
I am using Mint 11 right now and I will have a go with ubuntu. I also want to try PCLOS Gnome, but for some reason It hangs when I boot it from live cd. I thought it might have been a RAM issue on my aging laptop, or maybe a graphics card issue but it does the same on my work HP probook.

I have donwloaded it twice now and tried writing to disk at slower speeds. But still nothing.

I'll also try KDE.

I am looking around the web for alternatives to essential windows software before I make the cross - over! I think most will run in Wine, but there are question marks over a few.

bugman

Super Moderator
Hey Dason,

My main priority is photoshop lightroom for my photography processing

Secondary requirements are Photoshop CS5 and Endnote (but I'm pretty sure Endnote will run through wine).

vinux

Dark Knight
Linux Mint is very good. best part is the fast booting and speed.

For photo stuff, GIMP will be a good alternative. Also install picasa for small editing.

I haven't used Endnote. But there are many similar softwares ( like jabref, zotero) .

For any alternative software, try the keyword/software name in the "Ubuntu Software Center" . This will list out the related softwares.

TheEcologist

Global Moderator
Hey Dason,

My main priority is photoshop lightroom for my photography processing

Secondary requirements are Photoshop CS5 and Endnote (but I'm pretty sure Endnote will run through wine).
Gimp is indeed a good alternative for Photoshop but it will require you to relearn much.

I have never gotten endnote to work through wine, that is the office plugin via wine.
I have wasted countless hours getting such stuff to work, I got allot to work but it was mostly in vain because it is still quite inadequate compared to running in a windows native.

I really really really advise you to forget about wine for such things and install Oracle Virtual Box with an windows install. You will limit your abilities to collaborate with peers that use windows if you don't. A virtual box will allow you to have the compatibility you need for your work, while having all the benefits of linux. The best of both worlds.

bugman

Super Moderator
Again, thanks The Ecologist and Vinux. I am finding your posts very useful. And I am very grateful!

@ The Ecologist: Thanks for the advice about virtual box, it looks very useful. I looked at the user manual and seems to be pitched at about my level, so I'll crack on to it at the weekend.

@Vinux: I hadn't heard of those referencing apps, so I'll research them also.

I looked through the Linux link that Dason started and am now wondering if this is the right move. Seems to a c^&p load of jargon I need to get my head around (LXDE/XFCE and on it goes).

Link

Ninja say what!?!
Hey Link, on a side note: are you pretty happy with your HP?
Hi Bugman,

Yes, I'm extremely happy. I bought it customized from hp.com and there was an issue with production and shipping (they were switching from the ENVY 13 and 15 to ENVY 14 and 17's and I guess were out of supplies). After getting it though, it's done every heavy load I've put on it with no problems.

There IS an issue with the right mouse click on it...you can't press down on the bottom right corner to right click. However, tapping on the bottom right corner still works. Additionally, you can activate the synaptic touchpad features to do double tap right clicks and two finger scrolling.

Link

Ninja say what!?!
PS. I should warn you that Virtual box uses quite a bit of system resources. I think to install it on my machine, I needed to dedicate a gig of ram and 10-15gig of hard drive space.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
PS. I should warn you that Virtual box uses quite a bit of system resources. I think to install it on my machine, I needed to dedicate a gig of ram and 10-15gig of hard drive space.
Just to install virtualbox? Or to get a virtual machine up and running?

Because if the second then that's reasonable. Really all you're doing is saying "Hey computer. Pretend that you're also another computer" - so the computer needs to use enough resources for that other computer to run reasonably as well.

bugman

Super Moderator
Cool.

I am looking an getting one. They are having pretty good specials right now (30% OFF). Looks like I might need it if Im using virtual box!

TheEcologist

Global Moderator

bugman

Super Moderator
That's awsome. Thank you!

BTW, just an update for those following my awkward path to redemption...

I moved off the live cd and tried to dual boot xp with Linux Mint 11. As I have never partitioned a hard drive (I have only ever partitioned variance up until now), I managed to wipe windows completely! oops. haha. At least I don't have the dilemma of whether I should switch over completely now :)

Anyway, I have mint installed.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
That's the best way to jump in. Sucks that you lost xp though. Do you have a recovery disk or anything?