What sampling method is this?

Hi, I hope you can help.

I collected my samples on the street by just asking passers by to fill in my questionnaire. I moved to 5 different locations within the city and spent 3 hours each visit 3 times a week for one month.

Is this random sampling? Or it it sill convenience sampling? Can anyone help me make it sound as good as possible! While i know this can never be representative, can argue that its more than convenience?

Cheers!

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
It's definitely not simple random sampling. It still seems like a convenience sample to me. You never told us how you chose the locations but I don't think it matters too much.

noetsi

No cake for spunky
It is a convenience sample. To have a random sample you have to have something, like say a phone book, that lets you get at the population you are interested in as a whole. Then you chose a random group of that to contact. The key is, in theory, that everyone in the population has an equal chance to be selected.

Thanks, that was pretty much confirming what I believed. It all seems a bit ... unclear. I suppose im just trying to get away from convenience sampling due to the stigma that comes with it, but i guess as long as I make effort to show how I did everything possible to make it fair as possible.

noetsi

No cake for spunky
In some cases you simply have no way to do a random sample because you either don't know your population or have no tool to get at it (no phone book to use my previous example which formally is called a sampling frame). The reality is that return rates for random samples are starting to get in the 15 to 30 percent range; so bad that response bias is likely becoming extreme. This is dealt with by academics and professionals alike by ignoring it :p

Cluster sampling is sometimes used as an alternative, although that has its own problems.