What statistical test do I use for this?

Here's the data I have...

I have a "national" sample (the control) showing the actual number and percentage of people in the sample that have a specific characteristic. Let's say there's data on 10,000 people that are all classified as either loving cats or hating cats (Yes or No).

I then have a "local" sample that I need to compare to the "national" sample. Let's say there are 1,000 people in the local sample that are also all classified as either loving cats or hating cats.

So, I might calculate that 50% of the national sample like cats and 45% of the local sample. What test could I run on this (and how would I need the data initially) in order to calculate this?

Thanks for any advice.


TS Contributor
Assuming that national and local sample don't overlap, then
one could crosstabulate sample1/sample2 vs. love/hate
and perform Chi².

With kind regards

Thanks for the quick response. There is no overlap and I was thinking chi-squared would make sense, but wanted some independent, expert confirmation. You've done just that...so thank you!