Why is my contrast sig.in a 1-way but no sig. interaction in a 2-way ANOVA

Hi,

So I had a 2(analytical task, control task) by 2(rating: confidence, liking) design that I incorrectly put into a One-way ANOVA with planned contrasts, i.e. I made it 4 conditions. The results indicated that my when rating confidence, the analytical task did significantly worse than the control task at p=.001. There was no significant difference for liking between the analytical and control condition.

Now I've put it in a two-way ANOVA and my interaction is not significant. I have this same pattern for two different variations of the study. Can someone explain why this is happening please? Thank you so much for any help!

Dragan

Super Moderator
Your first analysis is not appropriate because if makes no sense to do planned comparisons for a 2X2 factorial design - plain and simple.

Your second analysis is appropriate. If the interaction is not significant - as you state - then simply look at the F ratios associated with the two Main Effects. In my view, that is all that is necessary based on what you have provided above.